TaDi Snap Shots

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Courtesy Call to Davao's Monarch, the Phlippine Eagle


BAYANIHAN REPUBLIC:

I've frequented Luzon and Visayas but even if I hate to admit it, I've never landed in Mindanao.  The planned vacations (Davao City) and even work related trips (Basilan, Davao City and Cagayan de Oro City) never pushed through, whether they were always being rerouted to another location or plainly canceled.  But this time, I made sure the plan finally pushes through.  And lucky enough, I was Mindanao bound, via Davao City!

Well, the trip was primarily for work but I tried to look for a window of opportunity to make a side trip, at least for what Davao is most famous for since I really have a very limited time.  And unfortunately, I can't also extend this time around as I have something to do immediately the day after my flight back to Manila.

After a series of radio guestings (DZMM, Bombo Radyo and RMN) and lunch at Harana, I headed to one of Davao's prides, the Philippine Eagle Center!  =)


First, I was told that the Eagle Center was 30 to 45 minutes away from the city proper.  Well, I never learned my lesson when asking directions in a province hehe.  I think we always have a different metrics in terms of how far a destination is.  It actually took me 1 to 1/2 hours to get there!  But don't get me wrong, am determined to check the place.  And good thing I did because I got what I wanted.  It's like marking a flag at a newly reached territory, saying mission accomplished!  When I said kumpleto na ang pagiging Filipino ko when I had my photo taken at Rizal Shrine in Manila, I realized that it still has a sequel because I haven't been in Mindanao.  But this time, a photo with the Philippine Eagle finally sealed it!  =)  Kumpleto na talaga hehe.  But that doesn't mean I will stop exploring the country.  The journey continues for Tatak Digitista's Bayanihan Republic!

As we entered the gate of the park, a tribal group named Matig Salug welcomed us and sold wooden bracelets that they made.  I actually bought 5 of them, as a little help to our fellow countrymen from the tribe.


After the tribeswomen, we were again welcomed by two raptors, the brahminy kites.  But don't worry, I think they're used to accepting visitors.  But just don't touch them please!  =)







And then finally, I met one of the kings.  His name is Mindanao!  Philippine Eagle (used to be called as Monkey Eating Eagle) can also be called Haribon, derived from Haring Ibon (King of the Birds).

And with this shot, I could say I finally say, Mindanao, accomplished.  Hehe

The Philippine Eagle Center takes care of 36 Philippine Eagles, 18 of which are captive-bred.  It also home to other animals like 10 other species of birds, 4 species of mammals and 2 species of reptiles.  It recreates a tropical rain forest environment and offers tourists a quick look of the Philippines' forest ecosystem.  The Philippine Eagle Foundation takes care of the conservation of the Philippine Eagle and through the Philippine Eagle Center, Filipinos are thought of the importance of environmental sustainability.

When the Haribon's feathers on his top stands, that means they're getting territorial or they just don't like too much noise.  So we just have to be silent okay, the owner of the place is a quiet type of guy.  =)

Wag nyong subukan si Mindanao,  hindi nya kayo tatantanan! 

And then he flies!

He spreads his enormous wings!

And then he slows down, as if he's listening to us.

And then Mindanao thinks.

And then he looks at us, as if saying my eyes are on you! 

And then he lets us pass!  Haha =D

And then as we leave Mindanao, I saw another Mindanao and Philippine gem, our very own orchid dubbed as Waling-Waling.

And then here comes another southern royalty, the fruit called durian.  If they say "Don't judge the book by its cover", here the saying is "Don't judge the fruit by its smell!".  Yup, it smells bad, really really bad, like rotten mangoes but it tastes yummy!  =)


A pair of Philippine eagle.  They say Philippine Eagles are monogamous, they keep one partner for lifetime.  Well, who says humans are the most intelligent creatures? Haha.  A Philippine eagle changes partner only when his or her mate dies.


















Some Philippine Brown Deers also reside in the Philippine Eagle Center.
I love this shot!  Although, I do hope that the Philippine Eagle Center will soon be like Singapore's Jurong Bird Park. Our birds deserve that kind of facility and those really big cages.  Well of course, they deserve to be flying freely on our forests but as long as humans won't learn the lessons well, they should be protected and conserved.

This Philippine Eagle is Dakila.

The Long Tailed Macaque who seems to be serving as the look out of the facility hehe.


And then back to Mindanao to say goodbye. 


Well, it was just a quick trip, as if a courtesy call to Davao's kings and queens of the forests.   I wasn't able to catch the educational programs slated for visitors.  But for sure, I'll be back there.  And that I promise.

The Philippine Eagle, known to be among the biggest eagles in the world,  is considered not just a natural pride but a cultural treasure as well.  The Philippine Eagle symbolizes our strength as a country rich with natural resources.  And if they will be gone, it simply tells a lot how we value our treasures as a nation.  So we have to protect the Philippine Eagle at all cost and we must conserve the species so that they will still be around to teach the next generation of Filipinos the value each life and how it is connected to one other.  To help in the conservation efforts of the Philippine Eagle, you may visit http://www.philippineeagle.org/index?pageval=help.



3 comments:

  1. I never saw a Philippine Eagle before in real life, I only saw them in picture. wish I can see one of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. was I one of those who said 30-40 mins lang? hope not! hehe glad to hear nakapasyal ka kahit papano ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Event Lover! Go see them in Davao! It's worth it! :)

    Hi Marga, hindi naman. :) Yup, I made sure of that. I hope to see you again soon in Davao! :) on

    ReplyDelete

Top Stories

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails