The last in the "I Vote for MDG" series is Millennium Development Goal no. 8 which aims to develop a global partnership for development.
MDG no. 8 specifically aims to attain the following:
• Develop further an open, rule-based, predictable, non-discriminatory trading and financial system. Includes a commitment to good governance, development and poverty reduction – both nationally and internationally.
• Address the special needs of the least developed countries. Includes tariff and quota-free access to the least developed countries’ exports; enhanced programme of debt relief for heavily indebted poor countries (HIPC) and cancellation of official bilateral debt; and more generous ODA for countries committed to poverty reduction.
• Address the special needs of landlocked developed countries and small island developing States and the outcome of the twenty-second special session of the General Assembly.
• Deal comprehensively with the debt problems of developing countries through national and international measures in order to make debt sustainable in the long term.
• In cooperation with pharmaceutical companies, provide access to affordable essential drugs in developing countries.
• In cooperation with the private sector, make available the benefits of new technologies, especially information and communications.